Monday, July 26, 2010

"Homecoming Is Held at New Streeter Church"

The following is taken from Beckley Post Herald (Greenbrier Valley News Section), 1950
By Teva Meadows:

"Following Sunday school and church services conducted by the pastor, Rev.
W. E. Harvey, of Maxwell Hill, an all-day service during which a basket lunch
was enjoyed, was held at the newly constructed church at Streeter last Sunday.
The Church has been named the Rhoda Ann Memorial Missionary Baptist church,
and the all day meeting was the first homecoming to be held there.

The Rev. Mr. Harvey related that he first came to Streeter to hold services on
July 4, 1949 and when he arrived there only one man was waiting to hear him.
Within the next thirty minutes a crowd of about 50 persons had gathered.
It was then that he first felt the need of a church in that vicinity. For many years
previous the people in the neighborhood had been having services in a one room

Following the services, during which Rev. Harvey felt the need for a church,
the patrons of the community set about planning the church.

The new church is located on a lot where the old grist or water mill stood and which
was owned by the late Samuel Pack. Mr. Pack died in 1893 and for the next
47 years his widow, Rhoda Ann, lived on the property and was a faithful member
where services were held in the schoolhouse. The new church was named
for her.

During the past half century when the little school also served as a church, there
have been several pastors. The first was Jerry L. Meador, who served for a number
of years. The first clerk of the church was Micheal Adkins, an 84-year-old member
who is living still. Bum Pack, a retired school teacher, who taught in the little
school for several years, recalled vividly the baptismal service in 1906 when he himself
was baptized.

The Rev. Christopher Pack, now of Rainelle, and who is now 84-years old, was
the next pastor of the church. He was born and reared close to the location
of the church and served in the capacity of pastor several years.

The Rev. Richard Lilly, of Sand Knob, was the next pastor, he was replaced by
the present pastor, Rev. Harvey. The superintendent of the Sunday School is
Mason Lilly, a son of Mr. and Mrs. Jackson Lilly, lifelong residents of community.

The Sunday school was organized in January of this year.

During the Sunday afternoon service special music was furnished by different
church groups and guest speakers were also present. Those who spoke
or sang during the afternoon included: Rev. Homer Lilly, of Rock Castle
association; Rev. Malcolm Lilly, of Dunne and the Dunne Choir; Rev. Christopher
Pack of Rainelle: music by the White Twins, Orville and Norville of Nimitz."

No comments:

Post a Comment