Saturday, September 12, 2026

Our History and Uniqueness Are At Risk Here in West Virginia

 While my blog is usually framed around preserving the richness of our local history, some developments are too significant to overlook because they directly threaten our beautiful landscape and our heritage that I have documented here in these pages. 

   About six or seven years ago, I noticed an increasing trend. Large swaths of land were being purchased by out-of-state investors. I took mental note of that.

    Lately, I have seen for myself some properties cleared and prepared for large infrastructure projects. 

    West Virginia, unlike many other states, has managed to preserve much of its natural beauty and history. It's one of the factors that generates tourism here. It's one of the reasons why we cling to this land. It was never overdeveloped. It remained "older than the trees". The mountains themselves are what define us. We are hillbillies. We love our mountains, our independence, our land, our country, and the resources to hunt, fish, draw water from a well, swim in a creek, or drink from a natural spring unpolluted by man's greedy projects. 

    I worry about the future of our area -- its beauty, its resources, and the history associated with these areas. Once projects like A.I. data centers are built -- with few or no restrictions -- there will be no turning back. They will not just be an eyesore. Right now, there are a lot of lies being spread online about it. I'm not going to spend the time or energy on this blog addressing that. I think everyone with some common sense can see it for what it is -- they are billionaires' lies that spread like an infectious weed. Not the first time! 

   My hope is that local residents fight back against the encroachment of these A.I. data centers. If not, our land and our history will be threatened. 

No comments:

Post a Comment