Sunday, February 15, 2015

Lillian (Lee) Dillion

Again, I have to apologize for a long absence.  I have a new teaching job with a long drive.

On January, 25th, 2015 my Aunt Lee passed away in Florida.  She was the oldest daughter of Ed and Lilly (nee Basham) Halstead.  Her biological father was Claude Hurt (Lilly's first husband).

Although she was technically my mother's half sister, she was as close as any sister could be to mother.  Likewise, I admired my aunt very much.

She owned Del Mar beauty shop in Beckley, WV for many years.  During WWII she worked on aircraft construction in Baltimore, Maryland.  Two of those planes were the Martin JRM Mars and the Martin B-26 Marauder.

She was a self-educated business woman and became very successful.  This was during the 50's and 60's when many women had to depend on their husbands for income.  She told me when I was a college student to make sure I took business courses, which I did and this knowledge served me very well.

She was one of the most inspirational figures in our family.  I will never forget the historical books, baked cakes and candies that she would send me during Christmas.  We also would visit her and my uncle at their home in Virginia.


No comments:

Post a Comment