Monday, June 14, 2010

Cemeteries, Part One



Cemeteries. There are many in the Jumping Branch/Streeter/Nimitz area. Basically, where there was ever a farm there was a cemetery. For instance, there are roughly 10+ cemeteries along Ellison Ridge Road... and counting!

In the ensuing posts I am going to feature info I have gathered regarding cemeteries. There are some points to consider. First, some burial plots were moved by the U.S. Army Corp of Engineers during the construction of Blue Stone Dam in the 1940's. The USACOE was meticulous; however, they could not read some tombstones. When visiting the major cemeteries I came across many of their little green markers with no names. Where people speculate that our ancestors are interred I will make an indication.

As a starting point, I'll address the cemeteries on Panther Knob (near Streeter). There are two (that I know of). One contains the remains of Pearl and Ruby Pack (it's often referred to as the Pack cemetery on Panther's knob). Pearl and Ruby were parents of Jack and Jim Pack (cousins to my family through Mary Jane Pack, mother to John Wesley Basham). It is located roughly 4-5 miles along Streeter Road on Panther Knob in a field south of the road.

The other site (tombs pictured) is the Basham plot. This contains the remains of William Blane Basham (note to my family: William Blane was a cousin to John Wesley Basham- John's father Alexander and William's mother Rhoda were brother and sister). Some of the headstones are not legible, or barely legible.

The following are buried there (according to online sources):

William Blane Basham (1828-1914)
his son, Isaac Edmond Basham (1869-1912)
sister: Malinda Pack, who married Vandalia Harvey (b: 1836)
Annie Belle Basham, I believe a child of Malinda's (1894-1915)
Ada Pearl Hylton, a grand daughter of William Blane (b: 1902)
sister: Rebecca Ferguson (born 1844)

Some graves are legible at this point, and some remain unknown for now.



1 comment:

  1. Hello, Can you PLEASE post directions to the Basham Cemetery from I-77? My father is buried there, I don't remember how to get there! Please help me.

    ReplyDelete