Tuesday, May 8, 2012

A little on the Swopes


The Swopes were one of the first families to settle in present day Summers County.  Joseph Urlich Swope, born 1707 in the town of Leiman, Germany (roughly 4 miles south of Heidelberg) left for America and settled in Lancaster County Pennsylvania.

His son Joseph (sometimes referred to as John) migrated to Virginia.  Then, according to John Miller's account, he explored west (sometime around the birth of his son Joseph).  He followed Indian trails to the present town of Union, WV.  There he traveled to Swope's Knob (named after him) and down into Wolf's Creek.

According to Miller's story, Joseph hid from Indians in a popular tree near the Broad Run Church.

Later, he brought his wife and child back and built a home near the Connor Spring.  It was here that his second child Michael was born in 1753.  Miller states Michael was the first white child born in Monroe County, which at that time included present day Summers Co.

There are several interesting stories about the Swopes.  Joseph's eldest son (also Joseph) was abducted by the Shawnee and, according to Miller's account, was adopted by Chief Cornstalk's mother.  Later on Joseph was retrieved after the battle of Point Pleasant.

Michael Swope settled at the head of Hand's Creek.  His daughter, Sarah Ann Swope (abt 1787-1862) married Joshua Harvey.  Their daughter Elizabeth Bell (or Dell) married John R. Pack.  This is how many of us connect to the Swopes.

I have a photo on the blog (earlier post) of the tomb of Sarah Swope Harvey and description of where she is buried.  There is a tombstone for Joseph Swope at the Broad Run Church at Wolf Creek, WV but I haven't traveled there to see it yet.


8 comments:

  1. Good to meet you! I'd like to go myself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the read.... i am Dean living in Alaska also a decendent of Michael Swope... I have been looking at the places mentioned on google earth how i wish i knew exact locations... i can feel it in my bones the burning desire to go there and see this place wolf creek and such just to feel it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also am descended from Joseph Swope. My name is Allen Ray (Rusty) Swope and I was born in Giles County, VA, in 1957. My father was B.C. Swope; my grandfather was Joseph B. Swope; my great-grandfather is J.J. Swope. I have visited the original Swope farm in WV and the Swope cemetery there. I am interested in family history.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would B.C. Swope be Burberidge Cuthbert? I believe he was my grandmother's cousin.

      Delete
    2. Yes. Burbridge or B.C. Was my father. He died in 1993.

      Delete
    3. Sorry, he was my husband’s father.

      Delete
  4. Hi,
    I am interested in visiting the original Swope Farm. Can someone tell me where it is located?

    Yost is my great, great, great, great, great grandfather and I've been doing some genealogy research on my family.

    You can email me at creseida@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am planning a trip there in June. We're going to stop in Wolf Creek, WV, then head to where Swope Depot was (present day Swoope, VA) and then head to Lancaster, PA where Yost is buried. I would love any pics or information you guys have! We are super excited and might even try to stop in Alexandria where one of Michael's Swope's house is. Excited to talk to some of you!

    ReplyDelete